This page includes information about online working, public events including dates which you can book onto, online module links and FAQs, and other training options:
Dr Treisman in response to request and due to the pandemic has been offering an array of successful online and virtual services. Including webinars, coffee morning sessions, Q and A sessions, podcasts, virtual keynotes, workshops, longer courses over several days, and facilitating reflective spaces and forums. We also can create tailor made videos and podcasts. The topics offered vary and will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Karen is mindful of offering topics that are safe and meaningful virtually; and which optimise people’s engagement with the material in an ethical way. These need to take into account the topic, the context, and what else is going on.
Dr Treisman does also take commissioned requests for creating service specific modules. Please email for further information. Ideally, we will need to know the size of the organisation. The length you would want it. Whether it will be in-house and protected or shared. And the topic/aims. The more specific you are the more we will be able to support in a timely manner (e.g. Amount of people, how many days, aims and objectives, how fits into the context of training, months, days, review the available topics to help narrow down etc)-Here are also some questions to consider about trauma informed requests- Trauma informed queries and requests points to reflect on
Some suggestions to consider before sending an event invite or telling people about the training (if part of a larger package)- before sending the invite out- trauma informed
Some of Karen’s most meaningful and impactful work is when training is delivered over a long period such as 6 months to 18 months alongside reflective practice, supervision, and consultation. See the following evaluation for a flavour of the impact of such a course- candle summary paper pdf-compressed
2 visuals of some feedback from people who attended a course over 6 months alongside thinking spaces- how did the experience shape you low res
Some of the advantages and positives for individuals and organisations of virtual working shared from Karen’s training are here- Some of the advantages and positives of virtual training and events
Some example virtual workshops which have been popular have included:
(these are just to give a flavour- please see the training page on this website for far more ideas and options. Before contacting us it is helpful if you can narrow down where possible which courses you are interested in, the number of people (more or less than 100 people), whether virtual or face to face (if face to face the location), how many days etc. We can then provide a brochure with aims and objectives and discuss suitability and so forth)
These for ease are separated in trauma understanding, direct work tools, and more organisational focus:
Some options more directly around understanding trauma (some are overlapping so covered in longer trainings- just a flavour):
- An introduction to understanding the impact of relational and developmental trauma including sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse, domestic violence, and relational poverty (ideally 2/3 days- we can do sections or bitesize sections but our meaningful flagship is 2 or 3 days).
- An introduction to organisational trauma and stress.
- An introduction to vicarious and secondary trauma/ compassion fatigue/ moral injury/ burnout/ emotional saturation (usually paired with a second day on staff wellbeing and wellness tools and ideas).
- Older adult abuse and trauma-informed nursing homes and older adult services.
- An introduction to community and collective trauma.
- An introduction to single event trauma.
- An introduction to medical or health trauma. There are a range of further day or multiple day trainings around this including trauma informed health care, trauma-informed maternity services, trauma-informed dentistry, the impact of trauma on the body and much more.
- An introduction to intergenerational, inherited, and historical trauma
- An introduction to cultural and identity trauma.
- An introduction to disenfranchised grief and loss.
- An introduction to asylum seeking, refugee and trafficking trauma (multiple different aspects available such as the psychological impact, trauma-informed assessments, how to support in a school setting, effect ways of working with interpreters and much more).
- Individual and organisational stress, trauma and survival responses (Pandemic/ non-pandemic/ Ukraine and other world events etc).
- The power of language, words, and the way we story and describe people (there is also an online module available of this below)- this is one of our most popular workshops- usually a day but can be abridged or lengthened.
- Behaviour is communication.
- Understanding “triggers” and hotspots.
- Intro to the impact of trauma on the brain.
- Intro of understanding the impact of trauma on one’s body and sensory world.
- Intro into the impact of trauma on child development.
- Intro to survival and protective responses.
Some options around more direct work/ therapeutic tools, strategies and ideas (some are overlapping so covered in longer trainings):
- An intro into creative and expressive ways for talking about feelings.
- A 1 day intro to co/ emotional regulation and calming tools (there is also an online module available of this below)- the Presley the pug emotional regulation training is 2 days
- An intro for all about me, this is me, engaging, and getting to know the unique person exercises and activities.
- An intro into creative and expressive ways for strengthening people’s self-esteem, strengths, and confidence (there is also an online module available of this below) or the Gilly the giraffe training is 2 days.
- An introduction to working virtually and online in a more creative way (also available as an online module).
- An intro to creating creative wellbeing, safety, and coping plans.
- Supporting with transitions, endings, and goodbyes.
- Supporting children transitioning from foster care to foster care/adoption/residential/back to their family.
- An intro to anxiety, stress, and worries. This is ideally a 2 day course based on Binnie the Baboon.
- An intro into grief, bereavement, and loss based on Ollie the Octopus (there is also an online module available of this below)-This is ideally a 2 day course.
- Understanding and working with disenfranchised grief in the context of children who have been removed from their parent families.
- An intro into sleep difficulties and/or nightmares based on Neon the Nightmare Ninja.
- An introduction into therapeutic re-parenting tools and approaches.
- Using my therapeutic treasure resources such as my therapeutic treasure deck of cards and my children’s workbooks.
- An introduction to a using Muslin dolls and Russian dolls therapeutically.
- An introduction to using genograms therapeutically.
- Working more effectively with interpreters.
- Adapting direct work tools for working with teens.
Some options around more organisational and trauma informed system change (some are overlapping so covered in longer trainings):
- Intro into what it means to be a more trauma, adversity, and culturally informed, infused, and responsive organisation. Can be specific such as health/ social care/ residential/ school/ nursery/ church/ midwifery/ dentist etc. This usually needs to be a spotlight or part of a longer series
- An introduction to the values of trauma informed approaches- this can be either at an organisational level or a practice level- for example, going through safety, collaboration, strengths etc- ideally a 2 day but can be a 1 day intro
- An intro to trauma-informed assessments (there is also an online module available of this below)- this can be multiple days if including cultural humility, language, multi-sensory assessments.
- An intro to trauma-informed, infused, and responsive supervision, thinking, and reflective practice spaces. (there is also an online module available of this below).
- Trauma-informed leadership.
- Trauma-informed team meetings and team spaces.
- Trauma-informed comms and marketing teams.
- An intro to staff wellbeing and wellness.
- An intro into understanding organisational trauma. This goes best with the intro into TI organisations and staff wellbeing.
- Trauma-informed physical environments, buildings and spaces (there is also an online module available of this below)
- An intro into cultural humility. This is ideally a 2 plus day course.
- Care plans in social care in a more trauma-informed way
- Trauma informed approach to redundancies, restructures, disciplinary processes, or performance management.
Online modules which you can work through in your own time or with your team (More coming soon- bulk order discounts available to teams/organisations over 10 people):
New Trauma-informed thinking space module with Dr Mandy Davis and Dr Karen Treisman (You can access the module itself here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/trauma-informed-thinking-space-a-series-of-podcast-style-conversations-dr-mandy-davis-and-dr-karen-treisman However please read the FAQ and below first). Dr Mandy Davis and myself are very excited to release our new & unique online module. A real, unscripted, unedited, & honest TI thinking space containing a series of reflective podcast style conversations about some of the thorny, nuanced, multi-layered aspects of TI practice in teams, systems, & organisations. Full of golden nuggets & enriching discussions. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed making it & sharing the space together. We are looking forward to your thoughts & feedback. You can read the FAQs & what to expect including contents here-FAQ trauma informed thinking space We also wanted to give you a sense and flavour of the types of conversations which are included in the module to see if this is what are you looking for. So here is a 17 min one which is from the myths & dilemma’s section focusing on the question “Is Trauma Informed just about being sweet, nice, and kind?”- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vFR1MyznXW4&feature=youtu.be
New online module on Genograms- ways to make them more relational, creative, expressive, engaging, and meaningful. please read info and FAQs here-An introduction to making genograms more creative and you can access the module itself here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/genograms-how-to-make-genograms-more-relational-meaningful-creative-expressive-and-engaging
Online module on supporting children and teens around grief, bereavement, death, and loss. Frequently Asked Questions about the course including pricing and what it covers is found here- http://www.safehandsthinkingminds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/grief-FAQ-and-contents.pdf Link to the actual module click here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/collections
Online module on the bestselling Presley the Pug: emotional regulation, emotional literacy, relaxation and finding calm– featuring the safe place exercise, sensory boxes and much more! Please note the toy can be bought via this website or eBay and the book here, from amazon, JKP, or a range of book stockists. FAQ found here (please read before signing up-presley the pug-Information and FAQ and the course itself is available here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/presley-the-pug-emotional-regulation-emotional-dictionary-relaxation-and-finding-a-calm-place-dr-karen-treisman
Online module- Self-esteem, self-belief, confidence, strengths, and resilience– based on the bestselling Gilly the Giraffe-Please note the toy can be bought via this website or eBay and the book here, from amazon, JKP, or a range of book stockists. FAQ found here- gilly the giraffe-Information and FAQ (please read before signing up) and the course itself is available here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/gilly-the-giraffe-self-esteem-strengths-hope-and-resiliency
Online module on trauma informed and trauma reducing health and medical settings- Please see FAQs and more information about the module here- FAQ for trauma informed health and medical online module Please access the actual module here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/an-introduction-to-trauma-adversity-and-culturally-informed-infused-and-responsive-medical-and-health-settings-trauma-reducing-instead-of-trauma-inducing
Online module- Trauma-informed assessments. Please see FAQs and more information about the module here- FAQ for assessment online module (please read to ensure you know what the module entails and covers before purchasing). Please access the actual module here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/trauma-informed-assessments-how-to-carry-out-an-assessment-from-a-trauma-informed-lens
Online module- Trauma-informed supervision and reflective spaces. Please see FAQs and more information about the module here- Supervision FAQ and further information(please read to ensure you know what the module entails and covers before purchasing). Please access the actual module here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/trauma-informed-infused-and-responsive-supervision-and-reflective-spaces
Online module- Trauma-informed Physical Environment, spaces, and buildings. Please see FAQs and more information about the module here- physical environment-Information and FAQ (please read to ensure you know what the module entails and covers before purchasing). Please access the actual module here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/trauma-adversity-and-culturally-informed-and-responsive-physical-environment-buildings-and-spaces
Online module for leaders, managers, and HR teams on trauma-informed redundancy, change, and restructures. Info about the module here- An introduction to the redundancy and restructure module and access to the module can be found here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/an-introduction-for-managers-leaders-and-change-makers-to-the-supporting-restructures-changes-and-redundancies-to-be-more-relational-supportive-and-trauma-informed-reflecting-on-the-experience-and-process-module
power of language and the words we use module- Info about the module can be found here- Power of language FAQ and infomation and the course itself can be accessed here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/power-of-language-and-the-words-we-use
Virtual and online short course- Info about the module can be found here- Virtual and online working FAQ and infromation and the course itself can be access here- https://safehandsthinkingminds.thinkific.com/courses/an-intro-module-to-making-online-virtual-working-more-creative-and-relational-a-therapeutic-focus-but-applicable-to-wider-forums-such-as-meetings-and-trainings
Coming soon depending on need and request– Online modules on Trauma-informed medical and health care, Behaviour is communication, triggers and hotspots, creative ways of using my therapeutic cards, Binnie the Baboon (anxiety, stress, fears, and worries), Cleo the Croc (anger in the context of abuse- those who understandably struggle to trust and to let others in), and Neon the Ninja (nightmares and sleep difficulties). We are also responsive to requests.
Training events (online and virtual)
Please note the majority of my events are commissioned for organisations and teams. So these are just the public ones listed. My numerous free videos and podcasts are found on other pages in this website.
Some tips by Dr Karen Treisman around attending virtual events- Some top tips and ideas for attending a virtual event
Forthcoming public virtual events which you can book onto as an individual (the majority are commissioned by specific organisations and teams and therefore are not open to the public- these are regularly updated so please keep checking):
2023 dates at the moment: ( we do add to this so do check in regularly for updates)
September 15th 2023- power of language- will be through http://www.adoptionplus.co.uk
October 3rd and 4th 2023- Binnie the baboon- 2 days into worries and anxiety
October 7th and 8th 2023- 2 days intro intro course into relational and developmental trauma understandings (only public event in trauma of the year atm)- – https://thesunflowernetwork.co.uk/event/dr-karen-treisman-understanding-the-impact-of-trauma/
November 16th- Creative ways of talking about feelings- http://www.adoptionplus.co.uk
March 2024- Strengths and self-esteem- http://www.adoptionplus.co.uk
July and August Dr Karen Treisman will be doing an Australia speaking tour arranged through compass- details to be released soon.
More details coming soon for additional public events